After a wave of change, Dave Haywood, Charles Kelley and Hillary Scott have watched the tides rise and fall and are embracing the power of vulnerability with the release of Lady A‘s forthcoming album OCEAN, set for release November 15 on BMLG Records. It marks a new beginning that brings the Multi-PLATINUM trio back to their roots, showcasing their familiar vocal interplay and individual instruments on the emotionally resonant 13-track project.
Lady A chronicles personal relationships and everyday responsibilities with a balance of growth and maturity that could only come from 13 years of working together. The CMA-nominated trio’s upcoming release is available now for pre-order at all digital retailers. Fans will also immediately receive a download of the title-track along with previously released songs “Pictures” and their Top 15-and -climbing single “What If I Never Get Over You.”
“There’s this theme of returning to the core of who we are—as writers, vocalists and people—that came out in each of these songs,” Dave Haywood explains. “Our time in the studio with Dann had an excitement that felt like we were making our first album all over again.”
Produced by first-time collaborator Dann Huff, OCEAN is full of depth and despair, with its title-track Scott’s bare vocal puts a bow on the album’s core reminding us of life’s beauty even when we get caught in its undertow. With moments like “Be Patient with My Love,” which Kelley co-wrote as a beautiful ode to commitment, they balance raw feelings with squealing guitars.
“It’s such a cinematic and theatrical melody that really tied together our standpoint of this record as a whole,” adds Scott. “OCEAN stands for all of the things that we think and feel when we hear the word. Its parallel with those feelings much like the songs about barely keeping your head above water and others that make you feel like everything is smooth sailing.”
Fans can now watch a stunning performance of the album’s title-track for OCEAN here.
The album allows Lady A to let loose too. “You Can Do You” is a swaying live-and-let-live anthem inspired by the hustle of Nashville’s crowded streets, while “Boots” combines heartland-rock crunch with Celtic fiddles. On the swirling “The Thing That Wrecks You,” the trio gets an assist from fellow Country music superstars Little Big Town, who supply background vocals; its dreamy coda features the two groups’ vocals intermingling, weaving in and out of one another and occasionally hovering over the gauzy guitars.
OCEAN Track Listing:
1. “What If I Never Get Over You” (Sam Ellis, Jon Green, Ryan Hurd, Laura Veltz)
2. “Pictures” (Dave Haywood, Charles Kelley, Hillary Scott, Sarah Buxton, Corey Crowder)
3. “Crazy Love” (Charles Kelley, Nathan Chapman)
4. “You Can Do You” (Dave Haywood, Charles Kelley, Corey Crowder, Jordan Schmidt)
5. “What I’m Leaving For” (Sam Ellis, Micah Premnath, Laura Veltz)
6. “Be Patient With My Love” (Charles Kelley, Dave Barnes, Ben West)
7. “Alright” (Dave Haywood, Charles Kelley, Hillary Scott, Busbee, Justin Ebach)
8. “Let It Be Love” (Hillary Scott, Jordan Reynolds, Amy Wadge)
9. “On A Night Like This” (Dave Barnes)
10. “Boots” (Charles Kelley, Ross Copperman)
11. “The Thing That Wrecks You” feat. Little Big Town (Daniel Tashian, Tenille Townes, Kate York)
12. “Mansion” (Chris DeStefano, Hillary Lindsey, Josh Miller)
13. “Ocean” (Tofer Brown, Sarah Buxton, Abe Stoklasa)